Tuesday, February 5, 2013

More Time, Less Time & Shoes????

How do you introduce time?  One of my favorite games to play is our More Time, Less Time shoe game.  Yes, we take off our shoes!!!  It does get a little stinky, but trust me, you will have their attention.

The night before I always pray that the kids will wear the "correct" shoes in the morning.  This is usually not a problem because I always have someone in cowboy boots!! :)  (Sometime more than one....living in the country, I have a lot of country boys.) Shoes....check!
Then it's race time.  The kids take a vote..... "Who will put their shoes one the quickest?"  "Who will take the longest?"  Thus, our introduction to more time and less time.  I also have the kids give me an explanation about why they made their prediction.

Of course everyone wants a chance to play, and yes, some shoes are way more time consuming than others.  So if you play, be prepared to help tie some shoes!

After that we move on to blocks.  They use their face partners at their tables, and one person gets 10 blocks and the other gets 5.  Again we make predictions about who will take more time and who will take less.  Just to be funny, because you know they are sitting on the edge of their seats, I pause a little before I say......GO!
This fun little activity is a great lead into our time unit.  We have transitioned to clocks now, and they are doing so good.  I have some fun analog and digital clock matching activities in my new Love Bugs: Time, Money and Measurement unit.

And yes, I did have a parent call and say....."Thank you sooooo much for teaching my child how to tell time.  Now they tell me, 'No Mommy, it's not bedtime yet.  Mrs. Rucker taught me how to tell time.'"


"But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hand; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors." Psalm 31: 14-15



4 comments:

  1. Just gave you some shout out love at my blog! :) Come check it out if you have time Faith!

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Found you through the Shout Out Linky from Jessica's post. :) So happy to hear about you and am your newest follower. :)
    Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete