Thursday, April 4, 2013

How Things Move & a Freebie!

We just finished our "How Things Move" unit in science.  The kids had a blast.  We pushed and pulled, rolled, went back and forth, spun in circles, and went up and down for a week!  Whoooo,  I was a little tired by the end of the week. :o)

 I really do love this unit because we get up and moving.  I introduced force, and we were off.  We got to go outside and swing (back and forth movement), play with hula hoops and ribbons (circular movement), and blow bubbles.   Yes, we had to talk about why somethings go up and stay up, and why somethings go up and come down - gravity.  :o) We named "gravity" - Mr. Gravity - because I said it was like a little man pushing back down on your head.  We have already done our Earth and Space unit, so they knew that once something got high enough, it would stay up there and float.  They loved it because I picked them up and let them "run" in space.  heheheheh
Then we talked about how different things can change how something moves.  We went out side and experimented with a wall.  What would happen if we rolled the ball straight to the wall?  What would happen if we rolled the ball at an angle to wall?  Well, one of my little girls knew exactly where she needed to roll the ball to make it hit the wall and go to her partner!!  Yeah!!  The other kids were soooooo impressed.
Finally, we talked about how things move on different surfaces.  The boys where hooping and hollering when I got the cars out! For our experiment we rolled a car down a ramp and onto three different surfaces.  Which surface would it roll the furthest on?  Oh, this is so much fun to watch!!  I have them record their "drawings" on a record sheet.  (We draw where the car stopped.)
If you would like to download this fun little freebie, Exploring Different Surfaces, click on the picture below.  Of course I had to make it cute before I gave it away.  The paper you see in the pictures above was the one I used last year.  My kiddos had so much fun with this, so I wanted to share.
If you liked this little freebie, please remember to follow my blog or Facebook page. I hope your kids have fun too!

"You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them.  "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." Matthew 17:20

 

No comments:

Post a Comment